Wynne Huddleston is a poet, musician, and teacher with a Master of Music Education degree from the University of Southern Mississippi. She is Secretary of the Mississippi Poetry Society, 2nd Vice-President of the Mississippi Writers Guild, and a member of the National Federation of Music Educators (NfMC). Ms. Huddleston was selected as 2014 Mississippi Poetry Society’s Poet of the Year. Her book, From the Depths of Red Bluff, published by the Mississippi Poetry Society, Inc. is now available.
FROM THE DEPTHS OF RED BLUFF
by Wynne Huddleston
published by the Mississippi Poetry Society, Inc.
Please check the “Events” tab at the top of the page for my ever-growing list of Readings and/or Signings, or check out my facebook page Wynne Huddleston Poetry.
2014 Mississippi Poetry Society Poet of the Year
1st Place in the Environmental Division of the Grandmother Earth National Contest for “Drilling Disaster,” a poem about the Gulf Oil Spill. Check it out in Grandmother Earth XVII or on Poets for Living Waters, Open Mic section.
Mississippi Poetry Society Spring 2013 Festival: 1st Place MPS AWARD 2013 for “Devil’s Due” 1st Place Elvis Theme for “I Can’t Stop Loving You” 3rd Place Humor Theme for “Addicted” HM for “Autumn Quilt” In the Mississippi Poetry Society Fall 2012 Mini-Fest: 2nd Place for “Autumn Cleaning”
Mississippi Poetry Society Fall-Mini-Fest 2011: 2nd Place in the Clay Anderson Award for “Regret” 3rd Place in the MPS Central Branch Award for “My Eclipse” HM in the Charles and Dorothy Little Memorial Award
Mississippi Poetry Society Spring 2011 Festival: 1st Place in the Myrtle Rae Davis Jones Memorial Award for “Mother’s” 3rd Place in the Poets Anonymous Award for “What Do You Know of Spring” 3rd Place for Dramatic Monologue for “Chopin: Robbing Time” Honorable Mention in the Charles and Dorothy Little Memorial Award for “Reaching for Light.”
Mississippi Poetry Society Fall Mini-Fest 2010: 3rd Place in the Poets Anonymous Award for “Between Us” Winner of Enchanted Conversation’s Daughters of Air Contest. The poem, Teardrops is online in EC. They now have a new site and name.
Ms. Huddleston’s poetry/prose may be read in:
- Poets for Living Waters, Open Mic
- Emerald Tales: Winter Solstice, Vol. 1, Special 3, p. 1
- Waterways: Poetry in the Mainstream, Vol. 30, 4
- Gemini Magazine, April 2010
- Today in Mississippi
- Enchanted Conversation, Issue 3
- Enchanted Conversation Daughters of the Air ContestWinner!
- Emerald Tales: Midsummer’s Eve, Vol. 2, No. 3 , p. 37
- The Shine Journal, July 2010. author bio
- From the Porch Swing – memories of our grandparents author bio
- THEMA: Music and Math
- Birmingham Arts Journal, Fall 2010, p. 33
- joyful! September 2010
- Camroc Press Review
- Enchanted Conversation, Issue 4
- Victorian Violet Press, Issue 5
- Purple Poetry Book anthology 2010
- Southern Women’s Review, Issue 4
- Grandmother Earth XVII
- Pond Ripples Magazine, Nov. 5, 2010
- Calliope Nerve
- Pond Ripples Magazine, Nov. 20, 2010
- EarthSpeak, Issue 5, Dec. 2010
- Short, Fast and Deadly, i60
- Red Poppy Review, Feb. 15
- Halfway Down the Stairs, Haunted Issue, March 2
- Mississippi Poetry Society Contest Journal 2011
- The Mom Egg, Vol. 9
- Words: A Poetry and Prose Anthology (Old Mountain Press)
- Stymie: A Journal of Sport and Literature, Spring 2011, Baseball Issue
- The Battered Suitcase, Summer 2011
- New Fairy Tales (anthology) Aurora Wolf Press, April 2011
- The Greensilk Journal, Spring 2011
- WestWard Quarterly, Spring, Summer and Fall 2011
- The Stray Branch, #10, Vol. 7, Fall/Winter 2012
- The Harsh and the Heart–Patriot’s Dream, Silver Boomers, Aug. 2011
- Indigo Rising Magazine, May 17, 2011
- Orange Room Review, Issue 30, June 1, 2011–Tiny Treasures & Scraping the Surface
- Mad Swirl, June 2011
- Eskimo Pie,Aug. 2011
- Eunoia Review, Oct. 2011
- Ink Sweat & Tears, July 31, 2011
- Poetry24, June 14, 2011
- HeavyHands Ink, Vol. Six
- Danse Macabre XLVIII Bel ennui
- Danse Macabre le du jour
- The Rainbow Rose, June 29, 2011
- Vox Poetica Prompts
- Old Time Mountain Music Anthology
- Four and Twenty, Sept. 2011
- E·ratio Issue 15, 2012 pp. 66-70
- Purple Poetry Book 2011
- Paws, Claws, Wings and Things
- Raven Chronicles, “Matters of the Spirit” Issue, Vol. 16, No. 1
- Death Head Grin Volume Two, ebook
- I Wonder Why (OMP)
- Deep South Magazine, April 23, 2012
- Mississippi Poetry Society Contest Journal, 2012
- Poetry24, Oct. 1, 2012
- Mississippi Milestones, 2012
- MPS Fall Festival 2012
- Purple Poetry 2012
- Poetry24, Dec. 2012
- Mused, BellaOnline Literary Review, Vol. 8, Issue 1, Spring 2014
- Twice Upon a Time, e-book, 2015
- I Only Wanted One Time To See You Laughing, Prince Tribute, 2016, Yellow Chair Review, “Past Purple”
- Delirious: A Poetic Celebration of Prince, 2016, NightBallet Press, “Snow in April.”
- Poetry Creations, “What Do You Know of Spring?” and “Before Breakfast”
- SnapDragon Journal, Journey Issue, June, 2016, “From the Depths of Red Bluff”
- Whispers, July 5, 2016, “Vacating the Premises,” a collaborative poem.
- Alyss, August 2, 2016, “Can’t Stop the Bees”
- In Bloom, “Scratched Record”
Ms. Huddleston attended workshops facilitated by:
- Jeanne Leiby, author and editor of The Southern Review. (Jeanne was killed in a wreck April, 2011. May she rest in piece.)
- Angela Ball, poet and professor at the University of Southern Mississippi, has been published in the Best American Poetry series.
- Irene Latham, author and poetry editor for Birmingham Arts Journal
- Crystal Bowman, author of children books and piano music
- Edna Ellison, Christian speaker and author
- Jo Huddleston, author of fiction and Bible studies
- Billy Field, screenplay writer
- Betty Hassler, editor of Open Windows and Deacon
- Keith Badowski – “The Bearded Poet” and Co-founder of Brick Road Poetry Press.
- Sarah Campbell, author of award winning children’s books Growing Patterns: The Fibanacci Numbers and Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator.
- and so many more!
- 2009 , 2010, 2013 Mississippi Writers Guild Conference in Vicksburg Literary Artists On Stage (LAOS)
- 2011 and 2012 at Jackson, MS (LAOS)
- Espresyo Soul, Sage Coffee & Books in Meridian
- MPS Festival Spring 2011 at Gulf Hotel Resort in Ocean Springs
- Clarkdale, MS 100,000 Poets for Change Festival
- Decatur, MS and Meridian, MS MWG meetings
- Belhaven University in Jackson, MS Fall 2011 and Fall 2012
- MPS Festival Spring 2012 at Lake Tiak O’Khata in Louisville, MS.
- “The Earth Gives Thanks,” was read on Thanksgiving Day on radio station WCJU, Columbia, MS.
Ms. Huddleston obtained a Master’s of Music Education from the University of Southern Mississippi, and has studied graduate level creative writing at the University of West Alabama.
Ms. Huddleston, a National Board Certified Teacher, has been an elementary music teacher for 27 years, a piano teacher since high school, and became a church pianist/organist while in the 6th grade, and later served as choir director. She received superior ratings for piano solo at the Bach Festival and for clarinet duo at Solo & Ensemble, the Meridian Community College Music Award, chorus scholarships to the University of Southern MS, and was a member of the auditioned USM Singers Choir. Her piano club won the State Jr. Federation of Music Clubs’ Loving Cup in 1985. The Meridian Philharmonic Nat’l Federation of Music Clubs won multiple ribbons during her term as President. Ms. Huddleston has had students perform in the Mississippi Elementary State Honor Choir for many years. Served as Judge for:
- the district Baptist Hymn Festival in Laurel, MS
- National Federation of Jr. Music Club Festivals
- the Colgate Country Showdown Local Finals in Columbia, MS.
Music Education Articles/ideas Published Online:
- Plank Road Publishing’s Music K-8 Magazine “Idea Bank” http://www.musick8.com/html/ideabank.php
- Bulletin Boards for the Music Classroom: http://www.musicbulletinboards.net/
- Music Education Resources Idea Library: http://www.freshpond.net/uploads/users/5/User_5961/MyFiles/index.html
Her original song, “Many More Birthdays” was performed at the 2010 Relay for Life Opening Ceremonies in Forest, MS. http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FWynne-Huddleston-Poetry%2F147410278647146&layout=standard&show_faces=true&width=450&action=like&font=arial&colorscheme=light&height=80
This blog is listed on New Pages a great place for writers!